Red Cross: Why I became a volunteer?

Monday, November 17, 2014


Why I became a Red Cross volunteer?

Red Cross
During one of the mass blood donations in Baguio.



When I first volunteered with Philippine Red Cross Baguio City Chapter in 2013, I never thought that I’ll last these long with them. Joining them changed my life forever.

I became a Red Cross volunteer because my friend, Karen, encouraged me and I was inspired with her devotion with the organization because even though obviously she looks tired after her night duties, still she makes time with the organization. There must be some kind of drug that gets you addicted to be with Red Cross and I got that addiction too when I became a regular volunteer. I came to appreciate the organization’s selfless acts and their humanitarian ways in helping people. The organization consists of more volunteers than regular employees and I can say Red Cross would not be standing strong without these volunteers and being a volunteer myself, I felt proud that I belong to this organization.

Slowly, I found myself being productive in any way I can with the organization even if it cost me my sleep, my off days and myself time (and sometimes, my work quality with my regular job). Being a nurse, I felt like this is my calling, to do more with my chosen field without expecting anything in return. 

I got to know different kind of people outside and inside the vicinity of the organization from different walks of life and I can say, it made an impact to my life knowing their stories and how Red Cross changed their life as well. I learned how to mingle well with other people especially when we have activities outside and dealing with how to approach different kind of people. My Ilokano-speaking tongue was enhanced here as well because some elders would speak with you in that dialect and of course, you have to respond back the same. I really learned a lot socially because if you ask me, back then, I was a loner, doesn’t talk much to other people, you know the silent type of people, those unapproachable kind. But with Red Cross, I have learned to improve myself socially, I became talkative and yes, I can start a conversation with a stranger too. Well, I am being vague but these were the outcomes when I became a volunteer and I never regretted it. Though some people doesn’t understand why I stay with an organization that doesn’t pay the services that I give, I always remind myself, I have a big heart that’s why.

Another reason I joined at that time was to get busy and forget all the things that bothers me emotionally. I was in a process of mending my broken heart. But ironically, I found myself falling in love with Philippine Red Cross instead while I was getting better emotionally. Haha! Oh yes! This organization became my refuge, my second home away from home and became my friend. Nuff said. ^_^


Life with Red Cross had been a happy wheel that I would love to ride over and over again. Though I am currently inactive, my heart as a Red Cross volunteer still actively and strongly beats.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments